August 25, 2007

August days

One thing I like about August days in Rome is the sense of intimacy. There are so few of us here and no one is in a rush. Only one bar is open in my neighborhood and there was a lively mixed crowd at the tables in front -- a happening place to be in the midst of boarded up shops, bars and restaurants where everyone stops and chats to strangers. I stopped by the market on my way home and found one lone stand open, an explosion of color between the large grey shuttered stands to either side. He was alone and greeted me with open arms -- "Ahhhhh bella signora, solo noi due qui oggi!"

I won't last long! The hoards will be filling the highways and byways tomorrow and by Monday we will just be among the crowds again.

a domani,
E

1 comment:

Roam2Rome said...

Bellissima Roma!

:) I had to laugh at what the man said to you, that sounds so Italy! :)

Very cute...