April 6, 2007

While I'm away....

While I’m away….

1. Wander through the labels that I have finally set up (along with the new look).

If you are struggling with a cross-cultural moment yourself, try the label “cross-cultural tools”, starting from the bottom up. At least you will find a few good questions, sorry no answers.

If you are hungry, try looking under “food”, especially my birthday lunch!

If you are confused about Italian ways, visit "individualism" for a few insights.

If you are feeling dumpy compared to those glamorous Italians, see "bella figura".

If you get tired of me, try Shelley. She has left a selection of entries from over 20 bloggers while she is away on her honeymoon or try one of my links to the right.

2. Tell me about one of your cross-cultural moments or culture shock experiences. Have you ever had that twitch, punch in the gut, squirmy, queasy, lightheaded feeling when you have found yourself outside of your cultural comfort zone? I’d love to hear about it. You can find my email by clicking on the “view my complete profile” to the right.

3. Read one of the books on the side (you can find the cross-cultural ones on the Intercultural Press site – see link). I am taking with me, “The Families that Made Rome”, by the Canadian author and historian, Anthony Majanlahti. Sure to be a entry on this one after I hear his book presentation coming up in the Throne Room of the Palazzo Pamphilj in Rome – sorry, invitation only. Anyway, everyone who has read it, loves it because he makes the architectural history of Rome between the 13th and 17th century accessible, human and interesting. Will let you know.

4. Forget about calcio for just a few days and follow the Italian national youth volleyball team at the European championship in Vienna from April 11-16. The top five national teams will go to the World Cup in Mexico this summer. Cheer on the tri-colore, including our son, to victory!

5. Have a walk on a sunny day with someone special and enjoy the holidays with family and friends.

Buona Pasqua.
Alla prossima,
E

Did you notice my oh so American “to do” list……
photo from the window of my local pasticceria before Easter.

1 comment:

Kataroma said...

I just discovered your blog and reading some of the entries I'm thinking "oooh so that's how it works here!" I particularly liked your insights into being a teenager here. I could never understand how adolescents don't have the "I wanna be my own person and leave home" impulse here in Italy - but maybe, as you say, they are able to "rebel"more within the family.

On the other hand, I can't imagine many Italian families where it would be ok for adolescent Francesco to bring his boyfriend home, use drugs or get a mohawk. But maybe it's all about turning a blind eye?